Re: Preserve key echo among command invocation

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Preserve key echo among command invocation
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:43:14 +0100

Frank Fischer <frank-fischer@shadow-soft.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> if a user starts typing a key sequence and stops for a few seconds
> before the sequence is complete, the keys types so far are shown in the
> echo area. As soon as the sequence is complete, the area is cleared and
> for the next command only the new keys are shown.
>
> My questions is if it is possible to preserve the sequence of keys to be
> shown even if a certain command is executed. So I want to write a
> command that, when called, does not cause the echo area to be cleared so
> that the keys of the following command are appended.

When do you want to stop with echoing prior keys and make a cut?  You
probably don't want to list the complete key history of the whole Emacs
session in the echo area...?

One thing in advance: key echoing is induced from C (including
`digit-argument') - if you want to have a very different behavior, this
won't be possible in a trivial way but only with some kind of hack.

Michael.