Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 20:55:56 +0200

> From: Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:44:49 +0000
>
>  AFAIK, if you put files into site-lisp, they will shadow those in the
>  versioned lisp directory (because site-lisp is earlier on load-path).
>
> Or I could just overwrite the paths in configure.ac to not include a version
> number. What I'd suggest would be
> to introduce a configure option to do just this.

What for?  We already have environment variables that you can use to
do the same without changing the build.

> Or are there any problems with changing these paths?

I don't understand why you don't want to use site-lisp, which was
invented for that very purpose (among other things).  But that's me.

>  I hope the same happens with ELPA, but I don't really know.
>
> The problem with ELPA is different: the subdirectories of the package
> directories are documented to always
> include the version number
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Package-Files.html).
>  From looking at the
> code I don't think that's actually a hard requirement, but I'd rather not
> rely on undocumented behavior.

Then I guess there's something missing in how ELPA packages are
deployed.