Re: [Gnus] Connecting to Eternal September with TLS?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [Gnus] Connecting to Eternal September with TLS?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:53:29 +0100

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

> And with a wild guess after visiting an ssl checker website I think I
> might need MD5 for signature checking. gnutls.el mentions
> GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_SIGN_RSA_MD5 but I don't know how to specify that
> from Gnus.

Here's an easy test case:

(open-network-stream
 "nntpd" (get-buffer-create "*foo*")
 "news.eternal-september.org" "nntp"
 :type 'starttls
 :end-of-command "^\\([2345]\\|[.]\\).*\n"
 :capability-command "HELP\r\n"
 :success "^3"
 :starttls-function
 (lambda (capabilities)
   (if (not (string-match "STARTTLS" capabilities))
       nil
     "STARTTLS\r\n")))

First of all, I think the error message is lacking.  It should say more
about what's failing.

As to the bug -- gnutls by default now refuses to deal with MD5
certificates.  We could override that, and instead let the network
security manager notify the user that the connection isn't safe.

I think that's a better solution, but others may differ.

(I've reported this with `M-x report-emacs-bug'.)