Re: emacs.desktop non-functional

From: ken
Subject: Re: emacs.desktop non-functional
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:21:52 -0400

From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 17:05:59 -0400

in ~/.emacs:

(desktop-save-mode 1)

This looks OK.  I have the same here, and it does work for me.

Do you have a .emacs.desktop file created when you exit a session?  In
what directories on your system do you have a file by that name?  And
what happens if you invoke desktop-save manually from a running Emacs
session -- does that file get created/updated somewhere?

Also, what exactly does it mean the "functionality is gone" in your
case?  What did you try to do and what happened?

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Saving-Emacs-Sessions.html

"Use the desktop library to save the state of Emacs from one session to another. Once you save the Emacs desktop—the buffers, their file names, major modes, buffer positions, and so on—then subsequent Emacs sessions reload the saved desktop. By default, the desktop also tries to save the frame and window configuration...."

It doesn't do any of that. Whenever I start emacs (not emacs-client) I get at most one file (buffer) from a previous session loaded. So of course too the frame and window config is not reloaded either-- because there's just one buffer loaded. Saving the multiple frames and window configuration has never worked for me in the entire history of session-saving... going back five (?) ten (?) years... since I've been using it.

Yes, I do have multiple .emacs.desktop files, this because I'm prompted for a directory when I do manually "M-x desktop-save". I don't understand the merit in having multiple such files (and by extension the purpose of the prompting) if I have no way, AFAIK, to pick one other than whichever is the default when I load emacs.

Eli (or anyone), is there a way to get desktop-save to work automatically...? that is, to add to the listing in.emacs.desktop the name of a file when it's opened and, conversely, taken out when the file is closed (~= buffer is killed)? That's the behavior I was expecting.

tnx for the f1