spacemacs --> (plain) emacs via use-package

From: Saša Janiška
Subject: spacemacs --> (plain) emacs via use-package
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 08:51:04 +0100

Hello,

in the past I did experience some wrist pain after using Emacs and
decided to switch to Vim...recently went back to Emacs by switching to
Spacemacs in order to possibly reduce RSI risk.

Now, after some time of using it, I have feeling that there are too many
layers to learn which do not bring me big advantage considering I do not
have vim's (moving) commands in my muscle memory.

Moreover, mappings for bigger packages like Gnus/org-mode which I use
are also mostly 'native' ones, so I've decided to switch to plain Emacs
with custom setup as I did in the past.

However, in order to refactor my custom setup and improve loading time,
I plan to use John's use-package, but need some advice how to do it
efficiently?

For smaller packages which I plan to use via MELPA like elfeed, Circe
etc. I can probably put all the customization within blocks like:

(use-package foo
  :init
  (setq foo-variable t))

but I wonder that to do with packages like Gnus & org-mode?

I use Gnus which comes with Emacs itself, but it contains lot of code
which in the past I was using by the:

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/lisp/emacs-gnus.el")

line in my init.el which contained:

;; Gnus stuff
(setq gnus-init-file "~/.emacs.d/lisp/gnus-init.el")
(setq message-directory "~/.emacs.d/mail/")
(setq gnus-directory "~/.emacs.d/news/")
(setq nnfolder-directory "~/.emacs.d/mail/archive")

and 'gnus-init.el' contained all the Gnus-related code.

Is it optimal to just include the above 'setq' definitions within
use-package block?

What to do in the case of org-mode package? Same as with Gnus or
something else?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a lamp in a windless place does not waver, so the transcendentalist,
whose mind is controlled, remains always steady in his meditation on the