Re: Spelling and spell-checking

From: ken
Subject: Re: Spelling and spell-checking
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 15:46:19 -0400

On 03/26/2016 02:06 PM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

On 03/25/2016 02:40 PM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
Thorsten Grothe <grothe_news@e.mail.de> writes:

Hi,

Am 11.03.2016 um 12:53 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
How can I have words that I type be auto-corrected to what I want
please? I'm specifically thinking of words like these -

im = I'm
ive = I've
thats = that's
Thats = That's
cant = can't
monday = Monday
tuesday = Tuesday, etc

and other specific words.
I have configured flyspell like this:

(setq flyspell-abbrev-p t)
(setq flyspell-use-global-abbrev-table-p t)

I'm german, when I have a word like "autobaahn" flyspell suggests "Autobahn",
when I accept the
suggestion, flyspell puts the word in the global-abbrev-table and saves it.
Next time I write
"autobaahn" the word is corrected automatically to "Autobahn"

P.S. You can edit the abbrev-table and set your preferred auto-corrections per
hand if you like.

Thanks Thorsten, this is along the right lines. This is what I now do, I
edit them 'M-x edit-abbrevs' and when done, save them 'C-c C-c'. And
then they're ready for action.

Thanks
Sharon.
Yeah, abbrev mode is really handy.  I use it a lot.  A long time ago it used to
be even better.

"int he" -> "in the"

and similar used to work.  But no more (a long time ago).  Too bad. Any way to
bring that
functionality back?

Have you tried putting it in to the abbrev_devs file manually? I've
found that it works when they've not been accepted through the spell
checker.

Sharon.

I don't know what you mean by the "abbrev_devs file"... I'm prompted for directory and file every time I do a M-x write-abbrev-file; I always save to ~/.abbrevs; I'm guessing that's what you mean... approximately.

When I do M-x list-abbrevs, one of the lines I've had in my ~/.abbrevs file going back more than ten years under (global-abbrev-table) is this:

"int eh"       0    "in the"

It worked for years, but after some upgrade-- I don't remember when-- it stopped working. Other abbrevs in the same file and in the same table work though. Puzzling.