Re: Help

From: Dejan Jocic
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 10:42:11 +0200

> ... <saogong123456@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> I wanna ask a question about init.el. I write Elisp
>> codes in it, but Emacs Seems don,t load it. Why?
>
> Are you sure that is the file that is being read on
> Emacs startup? In the Unix world, the file is .emacs,
> because typically every program has an init file (or
> several), and many end up in the user's home
> directory, so they can't be called "init". Not even in
> this case with the Elisp extention, as other Emacs
> components would also be ".el"!
>
> But you can still call it whatever you want and just
> load it from .emacs - set the `load-path' there as
> well so Emacs will know where to look!
>
> But even so calling it "init" is perhaps not as good
> as calling it something that describes what it
> contains - "keybindings.el", for example, if that is
> what it is.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Come back with more questions if you don't get it
> to work.
>
> PS. Another thing - try (succeed) to write a subject
>     line which somehow describes your problem - this
>     doesn't have to be super-elaborate, just "Emacs
>     can't find init.el on startup" or something.

In my case, it does not matter, it does not load it from
either ~/.emacs nor from ~/.emacs.d/init.el. It did load
it from ~/.emacs on my previous installs, both Debian
Wheezy and Debian Jessie with Gnome 3 as DE. Then, for
some experimenting, I've did fresh install of Debian
Jessie with KDE and it did not work. I'm now back on
Gnome 3, but it still does not work. I must do eval-buffer
on it every time after start.
There is one more annoying thing with it. When I start
Emacs with shortcut keys, it reads my ~/.Xresources.
But when I start it from that Gnome 3 dash where favorite
apps are, it does not. Xterm reads same ~/.Xresources in
both cases.