Re: Help

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 03:30:18 -0600

Dejan Jocic wrote:
> ... it does not load it from either ~/.emacs nor from
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el.

This sounds very odd.  It should load ~/.emacs at the least.  If it
were me I would put a message in the file to verify this.  Right at
the top I would put this.

(message "[reading file ~/.emacs]")     ; -*-emacs-lisp-*-

> It did load it from ~/.emacs on my previous
> installs, both Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie with Gnome 3 as
> DE. Then, for some experimenting, I've did fresh install of Debian
> Jessie with KDE and it did not work. I'm now back on Gnome 3, but it
> still does not work. I must do eval-buffer on it every time after
> start.

Exactly how are you starting emacs?  I assume by what you say that you
are using the X graphical version and not the terminal version.  Have
you tried starting it from a command line prompt?  Does it report any
errors to the terminal?

> There is one more annoying thing with it. When I start Emacs
> with shortcut keys, it reads my ~/.Xresources.  But when I start it
> from that Gnome 3 dash where favorite apps are, it does not. Xterm
> reads same ~/.Xresources in both cases.

This doesn't actually follow.  The ~/.Xresources is not actually read
by any X application.  Instead the window manager uses 'xrdb' to load
the contents into the X resource database.  X programs then
subsequently query that database.  You can ump the database with:

  xrdb -q

Perhaps in one case versus the other your DE isn't loading the file?
Or perhaps the "name" is being changed and therefore not matching the
stored resource names?

Bob