Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 17:40:37 +0200

On 2016-05-09, at 16:13, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> is there anything in core Emacs (i.e., no Melpa, and preferably no Elpa)
>> to facilitate selecting one of a few (say, up to 10) options, each
>> described in 2-3 lines of text?  (I know about the Widget library, but
>> I'd prefer something more lightweight.)
>
> Dunno what you mean.  There is menu-bar menu `Options' (which)
> you can add to.  There is Customize, which you can add to
> with `defcustom'.
>
> Specify "facilitate selection one of a few options".

Sorry for being imprecise.

I'd like to have (kind of) a menu, perhaps in a temporary buffer,
displaying a list of options and giving a way to select one of them.
Like, say clocking into one of recently clocked tasks in Org, or the
main manu in mu4e, or the possible corrections in ispell etc.  It seems
that a lot of packages use their own mechanism to do something like
that; now that I think of it, I guess it would be nice to have
a "canonical" way.  One advantage would be that by customizing this
"default" way, the user could define his/her preferred way of showing
the menu/selecting the option for _all_ applications using it.

WDYT?  Is there anything like that in Emacs?

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University