Re: Help

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 23:36:22 -0600

Dejan Jocic wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Exactly how are you starting emacs?  I assume by what you say that you
> > are using the X graphical version and not the terminal version.  Have
> > you tried starting it from a command line prompt?  Does it report any
> > errors to the terminal?
>
> I'm starting it both in terminal and in X graphical version. Result is
> same, it doesn not read init file, no matter which one i choose to
> use. So, neither ~/.emacs nor ~/emacs.d/init.el work. Of course, I do
> not have both in same time. Btw, Emacs seems to prefere
> ~/emacs.d/init.el cause that is where it autosaves. It autosaved some
> stuff there even when i had ~/.emacs. Think that it did not happen beffore.

I can only suggest to make the problem as simple as you possibly can.
Because the details here don't follow what is expected.  Make things
as simple as possible.  Double check all of the normal things in case
the normal things have become broken.  Question the fundamentals.

Check that $HOME is correct and exported.  Check that $USER is
correct.  Try forcing the issue with:

  emacs -u $USER

What you are reporting doesn't make sense and most of us would say
that "it can't happen".  Since you say it IS happening to you then it
must be that something is actively breaking it in your environment.
You will have to dig into it and figure it out.  This isn't a
systematic bug.  It isn't reproducible by others.  It must be
something specific to your environment.  Which, unfortunately for you,
means that you are the only one who can debug it because it is your
system that is broken and none of us are you.

Good luck!
Bob