Re: Help

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 17:31:35 -0700

Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com> wrote:

> No need for that, it is obvious that it does not read it. For example, I
> have some custom appearance and added Melpa in my init file. It does not
> "see" it on start, but it does after I do M-x eval-buffer on init file.

What do you see if execute the following command in Emacs?

    C-h v user-init-file RET

You should see something like this:

    user-init-file is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
    Its value is "~/.emacs.d/init.el"

    Documentation:
    File name, including directory, of user’s initialization file.
    If the file loaded had extension ‘.elc’, and the corresponding source file
    exists, this variable contains the name of source file, suitable for use
    by functions like ‘custom-save-all’ which edit the init file.
    While Emacs loads and evaluates the init file, value is the real name
    of the file, regardless of whether or not it has the ‘.elc’ extension.

If the value is different, we'll know Emacs is looking in the wrong
place for some reason (perhaps a site-wide customization?)

--
john