Re: Mail posting in newsgroups in Gnus

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Mail posting in newsgroups in Gnus
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 05:45:38 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I just want to say here that mail isn't instant
> messenger or IRC.

Thank God it is much better!

> Having autoreplies enabled previously has landed
> lists.gnu.org onto the DNSBLs as a bad citizen
> previously. Therefore autoreplies are not allowed.

Indeed :$

Apart from that security issue, autoreplies are often
an annoyance, typically carrying a huge bulk of text
with tons of mail addresses you should only use, if
you want even more autoreplied blah blah in
your mailbox!

> Also one need not be subscribed in order to post.
> GNU mailing lists are mostly either for bug reports
> or for getting help such as this list.

Mailing lists today could in theory also carry
a culture, like a pleasant place where you can be
active with technology, like the BBSs of the
telephone/early modem age, and the newsgroups of the
Usenet/UUCP age... Despite persistent efforts not the
least from Yours Truly in this endeavor, it is 50/50
if such a culture actually exists :_(

> Forcing people to subscribe in order to post a bug
> report is too restrictive. Therefore like most free
> libre community mailing lists our lists are open to
> non-subscribers.

It is too restrictive but it is not uncommon for
people even with advanced technology to not have
a decent mailing list, demand subscription, and/or
otherwise restrict Gmane access. Examples are the
gnuplot and GMT people (Generic Mapping Tools) - the
GMT are the worst, as they don't even have a mailing
list, but instead refer to a web forum! Which, on the
other hand, is alive and I got good help immediately.
But anyway!

                   - so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -