Understanding after-make-frame-functions

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Understanding after-make-frame-functions
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 23:35:15 +0000

Hi all,

I have certain code in my config like the find-font function call, which I
need to have in a after-make-frame-functions hook if I want that to work
correctly in an emacsclient session. So I have it so, and it works fine.

But I just learnt that that hook is apparently not called when I launch
emacs in a non-daemon mode (plain old emacs&).

Here is a little snippet for testing

===== temp.el =====
(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions (lambda (frame) (message "frame:
%S")))
=====

When you run "emacs -Q -l temp.el&", the above message will not be printed.
But it prints fine when emacs is launched in daemon mode.

So I need to add the find-font call in window-setup-hook (which non-daemon
emacs can see but emacsclient cannot. Is that right?).

So I have ended up with few code snippets in both
after-make-frame-functions and in window-setup-hook.  I have the actual
snippets from my config at the end of this email, in the case they come
helpful in understanding my problem statement.

(1) Is the above after-make-frame-functions behavior specific to daemon
sessions as expected? If so, I was unable to find reference to that in the
emacs/elisp manual.
(2) Is window-setup-hook supposed to run only in non-daemon emacs?
(3) What would be a more concise manner to do stuff like linum activation,
find-font call, etc. correctly in both emacs and emacsclient?

Thanks.

--
Kaushal

##########
===== (in init.el) =====
;;
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/fa33440cc16c0601ad55d94a762a03f4f7f66a50/init.el#L324-L332
(defun modi/symbola-font-check (&optional frame)
  ;; The below `select-frame' form is required for the `find-font'
  ;; to work correctly when using emacs daemon (emacsclient).
  (when frame
    (select-frame frame))
  (require 'setup-symbola))
(if (daemonp) ; only for emacsclient launches
    (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions #'modi/symbola-font-check)
  (add-hook 'window-setup-hook #'modi/symbola-font-check))
=====

===== setup-symbola.el =====
;;
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/fa33440cc16c0601ad55d94a762a03f4f7f66a50/setup-files/setup-symbola.el
(defvar font-symbola-p nil
  "If non-nil, Symbola font is available on the system.")
;; Set `font-symbola-p' to t if Symbola font is available.
(when (find-font (font-spec :name "Symbola"))
  ;; Manually choose a fallback font for Unicode
  ;;
http://endlessparentheses.com/manually-choose-a-fallback-font-for-unicode.html
  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" nil (font-spec :size 20 :name
"Symbola"))
  (setq font-symbola-p t))
(provide 'setup-symbola)
=====
I do the above so that code snippets using unicode available only in
Symbola font can be nested in a "(with-eval-after-load 'setup-symbola (when
font-symbola-p ..))" form.

===== (in setup-linum.el) =====
;;
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/fa33440cc16c0601ad55d94a762a03f4f7f66a50/setup-files/setup-linum.el#L169-L171
(if (daemonp) ; only for emacsclient launches
    (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions #'my-fn-to-enable-linum)
  (add-hook 'window-setup-hook #'my-fn-to-enable-linum))
=====
I get linum font error when running emacsclient if I do not put linum
enabling in after-make-frame-functions hook.

Kaushal Modi