Re: Overriding emacs key bindings

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 04:41:13 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
writes:

> Personally, I'm very used to C-o being
> open-line. That said, I agree with Emmanuel
> in general about this.
>
> There are a lot of options that people don't
> consider. Emacs reserves all keybindings of
> the type C-c C-<something> for modes.
>
> However, if the second key doesn't begin with
> ctrl then the user can use it. The entire C-c
> <something> keymap is reserved for the user.

That is generous, however Emacs is even more
generous and the user can assign any shortcut.

I think C-o is better as 1) o is easier to hit
than c, and 2) with C-c, both keys are on the
left hand side (little and index finger hitting
the keys), while with C-o, there is a pleasant
combination of left and right, and the left
index finger remains at f!

(Now in Russia, there was once a civil war that
lay the entire land to ashes, and the dispute
was how to make the cross sign - either
initially horizontally, or vertically!
Talk about stupid...)

But I also suspect C-c "single key" is
underused. Luckily it is just a key so it
doesn't have hurt feelings.

> The something can be any key that's not
> prefixed by ctrl or meta. Any key works, even
> the numbers and symbols on the keyboard.
> Capitals and small letters aren't treated the
> same, so there's a huge space there for new
> keybindings. Then there are rarely used
> prefix keys, like the key for marking text,
> you can attach stuff to that one.

Absolutely, you don't have to hold a Ph.D.
in combinatorics to understand there are more
combinations than 99% of Joe Elisp Hackers
could ever use sensibly!

Because Emacs is like a workshop filled with
tools, or a library but not with fiction but
formulas and methods and strategies. You can
benefit several lifetimes (if you live that
long) from them tools and books, but you still
will never have laid hand on every single one
of them. It is just the way it goes.

                   - so far: 32 Blogomatic articles -