Re: Emacs (nowindows) get confused about line display

From: David M. Karr
Subject: Re: Emacs (nowindows) get confused about line display
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 17:45:09 -0700

On 05/20/2016 04:28 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
"David M. Karr" <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>
writes:

On my CentOS laptop, I have a CentOS VM that
I created with Vagrant. I have Emacs 24.3.1
on the VM.

I start a terminal window on the laptop and ssh
to the VM. I run Emacs, but I don't have X11,
so it's in "no windows" mode.

Sometimes, when I start emacs on the VM, it
starts up fine and displays properly.

Quite often, and pretty continuously when it
gets into this state, it will start up with
a blank editor view, with no menu bar, and
the cursor displays on the SECOND line of the
window. When I then view or edit files, it
appears that Emacs is confused about its line
rendering. The cursor appears at the bottom
of the window, even though it "thinks" it's
on the top line of the file I'm viewing.
I can scroll the cursor to the right, and it
will jump back to the beginning when it
reaches the length of the first line, and
so on.

Emacs is completely useless in this state.

What can I do at this point?
You can analyze the whole chain of invocation.
What is the terminal emulator, shell, ssh
command, and Emacs invocation command? And if
you have tmux or something to that extent in
between any of those, that can influence, also.

Ok, well, $TERM appears to be "xterm-256color", shell is bash, I got there with "vagrant ssh", and I execute Emacs with "emacs".

That gave me the idea to run "emacs -q", and that does provide a clue. The display is fine after that, but when I load my .emacs after the fact (eval-current-buffer), it's then messed up. Before I do a binary search to narrow down what initially creates the symptom, are there any other guidelines for narrowing down something like this?