Re: gnorb user ?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: gnorb user ?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:55:44 +0800

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there anybody using gnorb package that would share his settings with me and
> show his workflow ?
>
> I have read the info doc but, still, I do not understand fully how I should
> use all this stuff.

Hi Xavier!

Sorry, I haven't responded to your github issue yet... A gif or at least
screenshots would be a very good idea!

I assume what you're having trouble with is the email tracking part of
Gnorb. I know it's confusing to explain, and I was aware of that as I
wrote the manual. Others have suggested a screencast, which I will
eventually figure out how to do...

Without knowing what your exact difficulties are, I'll say very briefly:
the core of it is three functions, used in three different modes:

- org-mode: `gnorb-org-handle-mail'
- gnus-summary-mode: `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo'
- message-mode: `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo'

As you've configured below, I like to have the functions bound to the
same key in the different modes, as they're conceptually part of the
same process.

In fact, message-mode and `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo' are the least
important. You only need that if you're starting the tracking process
from a new message, which isn't necessary. And once the process starts,
you'll only use the other two functions.

You start the tracking process either from Org, using
`gnorb-org-handle-mail' on an existing Org heading, or from a received
message in Gnus, using `org-capture' to create a new heading.

After that, it's just ping pong. The Org heading is used to "collect"
both incoming and outgoing messages belonging to the email conversation.
When you get a message that's part of the conversation, you call
`gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo' on it. When you're ready to reply, you
call `gnorb-org-handle-mail' on the Org heading.

There's a bunch more, but that's really it. Use "C-c t" on received
messages in the Gnus, then "C-c t" on the Org heading to send a new
message.

One thing I noticed you haven't bound is `gnorb-org-view' and
`gnorb-gnus-view', which I put on "C-c v" in the respective modes. In
Gnus, it will take you to the Org heading that is associated with the
message. In Org, it will open up a temporary Summary buffer displaying
all the messages associated with the heading.

I've tried to keep that bare bones, I hope it makes a little more sense.
Feel free to ask more questions (and to suggest improvements to the
manual!).

Yours,
Eric