Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]

From: Whitfield Diffie
Subject: Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 04:42:38 -0700

> Sorry for hijacking the thread: is it (roughly) consensus here
> to "reply to all" instead of replying to list?

> I happily handle both ways, but have been scolded elsewhere for not
> (strictly) replying to list. That's why I didn't dare here.

    First: thank you very much.

> This happens because usually, the buffer's local keymap is set up as
> a *reference* to the major mode's keymap [1]. If you want to change
> that, you'd have to dissociate this reference by copying. Something
> like (warning: untested code ahead)

>   (use-local-map (copy-keymap (current-local-map)))

>might do the trick [2], [3]

    It did and the explanation makes clear what is not clear from the
documentation I could find.

    Drew, I also thank you for suggesting submodes that inherit; it is
a better solution and I will pursue it.

    Second: I was subscribed to this list for a long time but decided
that since I didn't have enough time to work on it, I was better just
reading it from the server when I was interested.  It didn't occur to
me that I might not see a reply if I asked a question.  Now I need to
echo-area editing, I had to recreate the whole line editor and it
didn't seem that should have been necessary.

     Again, this has been a wonderful experience with the list and I
thank you all very much.

                                        Whit