Re: Runtime package dependencies and compilation order

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Runtime package dependencies and compilation order
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:47:09 +0200

Boris <d12frosted@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently I've faced following problem. I have a package A that might
> depend on package B or (disjunction) package C.

Is this an exclusive "or"?  If not, why not just depend on B _and_ C?

In the other case I cannot suggest anything better than what you already
did.  Since AFACT, Emacs package management doesn't (yet?) allow
dependencies of type "X or Y" (unlike some OS).  But I wonder...

> The problem comes when someone wants to use the part of package A that
> depends on package B - if package A is byte compiled before B, then some
> functionality doesn't work and you have to manually recompile A.

...is really the compilation order a problem, or the fact that A had
been compiled without B being _loaded_?  Doesn't make much a difference
from the end user's view, though.

Regards,

Michael.