Re: Better image quality for doc view?

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Better image quality for doc view?
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 00:46:37 +0000 (UTC)

xiongtk <xiongtk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> mbork.pl> writes:
>
> > On 2016-05-29, at 20:12, xiongtk <xiongtk <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The default doc view is not comparable in terms of quality of display
> >> to other professional pdf viewers. But I want to at least see the words
> >> clearly when I fit the document to half of my screen while I work on the
> >> other half. I would like to ask for advises on how to improve the
> >> display quality.
> >>
> >> I've tried to change 'doc-view-resolution, but it only make the default
> >> image larger in size. The quality looks the same when re-sized. Should I
> >> change the program that converts PDF files to PNG?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Have you tried pdf-tools?
> > https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools
> >
> > Hth,
> I've just installed it. The quality is better, but some files are not
> correctly converted(certain sentences are missing). I found that it does
> not officially support OS X.

Are you using some Retina display model?  Then, which Emacs are
you using on OS X?

The NS port, which is bundled with the standard Emacs
distribution, always displays images with magnification and
interpolation because of lack of high-resolution image display
support.  As a result, all the images look blurry compared with
the surrounding text on a Retina display.

The Mac port, which is distributed separately from the standard
distribution, has high-resolution image display support.  Also,
it modifies DocView mode so it asks external programs such as
ghostscript to generate large images for high-resolution
environments.

  https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-
mac/src/7ab812f134e21ebbca355462888bfc2da4703a57/doc/emacs/macport.texi?
at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default#macport.texi-447

If you want to try the Mac port, there's a precompiled binary
package: https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport/releases

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp