Re: Emacs conventions (was: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings)

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Emacs conventions (was: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:21:36 -0000

In article <mailman.37.1463546355.6543.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Yes, they are good to be aware of.  But again, they are
> for someone writing a library for more than personal use.
> They are in no way restrictions on users.
>
> There is no convention (that I know of) that restricts
> key bindings for users or even suggests that users
> should stay away from certain keys.

But if a user binds a key that's supposed to be for modes, and then they
load a mode that also binds that key, they'll have a conflict. The point
of these conventions is to avoid conflicts like this.

If you don't mind losing one of the mode's keybindings, that's fine, but
you should do it with full knowledge of the potential conflict.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA