Re: use-package

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: use-package
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:21:15 -0000

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 9:09:09 PM UTC+5:30, Drew Adams wrote:
> Making a blanket, one-size-fits-all judgment for everyone
> takes choice away from users.

:
:

> I'm all for such a possibility.  What I am not for is
> Emacs imposing or recommending this or that look & feel
> in some blanket way.
>
> Let a hundred flowers bloom.  Vive the mode line.

etc
Just consider me in the opposite camp.
Everything else being equal too much choice is a bad thing:

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

One could go further and DEFINE freedom as choicelessness.
While I wont do that I will say that emacs is progressing from the
best software category to suxware category by offering too much bogus choices

- .emacs.d/init.el or .emacs
- custom-file or let customize mess your init
- setq or customize
- half a dozen options to specify keybindings
- eval-after-load or add-hook or simple-setq (+prayer that the mode author
followed norms)

I could go on
But I think you get the idea -- Choice is undesirable if there is any choice
about making the choice

Most recent example of bogus choices
haskell mode has been upgraded to some new fancy beyond-comint stuff
But the old comint is still there -- if you like -- Choice after all is
wonderful.
Result: What used to work OTB now needs to have explicit define-keys to make
sure user chooses old or new interface