Using comment character in comint prompt without entering a comment

From: Alex
Subject: Using comment character in comint prompt without entering a comment
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 01:01:57 -0600

Hello all,

I would like to use a comment character in the comint prompt without
causing the following characters to be commented out. Is there an easy
way to achieve this?

For example, if my IELM prompt was "ELISP;> ", then all characters
including and after ";" are font-locked with `font-lock-comment-face'. I
would like that the comment characters have no special meaning in the
prompt.

PS: The comment delimiters in IELM don't have the
`font-lock-comment-delimiter-face` face. Is this supposed to be the
case?