Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 13:41:01 -0600

Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Emanuel Berg writes:
> > If we had software for such forums - I don't know if we do? - it
> > would be a good thing if that software included an interface to
> > the traffic here - i.e., yet another gateway!
>
> Gmane actually *does* allow posting trough a web interface.  However, I
> doubt that anyone uses it — it’s pretty ugly, imho, and requires solving
> a captcha.

Really?  I thought most people that used Gmane used it for posting
through their interface.  No?  I guess it is really hard to tell by
anyone outside of Gmane.  But I thought that was one of the advantages
of using it.  That one need not have any other connection.

Plus I know that during the recent network connection problems to the
Boston datacenter site that much mail from Gmane was backlogged unable
to transmit messages.  All of those came through Gmane so there are at
least some users using it.

> By the way, so far as we are discussing techniques of using mailing
> lists, let me turn your attention, that your messages are systematically
> appear in ‘gmane.emacs.help’ as replies to non-existent messages, thus
> breaking the tree.  That might be some bug of Gmane, of course, however
> the archive of GNU Mailman [0] shares this views.
>
> [0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-06/threads.html

Yes.  I have tried to determine why this is before.  I don't think it
is on Emanuel's end.  It appears with other posters too.  Emanual is
just one of the more prolific posters and so we see it more often with
his posts.  :-)

Plus when the messages do thread they thread to the parent of the
message and not the message being responded to.  And of course the
unusual software in the path is Gnus, News, the news2mail gateway, any
of the three of which could be causing problems.  I think it is the
Stanford newsgroup gateway causing the problem.

Details follow for those who want to skip now.

Here was my message:

  From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>

And here was the follow-up message: