Re: Tramp: changing umask?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Tramp: changing umask?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 18:21:38 -0400

egarrulo <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/06/16 21:37, egarrulo wrote:
>> On 08/06/16 17:20, Barry Margolin wrote:

>>> It sounds like the target user's umask is different from your umask.
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion.  Indeed the user's umask is 0002, which
>> explains
>> the 0664 permissions.  Can I change the umask from Tramp before
>> creating/saving files?
>
> I have tried to connect with SSH, running the command:
>
> umask 0022
>
> then disconnecting and connecting again, but umask was 0002 again.

That's correct: umask is set for a shell session through an init file
(.bash_profile, /etc/profile or similar) and it persists only for that
session. I don't know if there is a tramp way of doing it, but you
can certainly do what you want by adding

umask 022

to the shell initialization file of the user on the remote host.

--
Nick