Re: Operating on yanked region

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: Operating on yanked region
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 11:43:20 +0200

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
>> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 13:07:12 +0200
>>
>> When I paste text from a Windows application to my Emacs (running
>> mainly Org-mode), I get wrong charset.
>
> That shouldn't happen, as Emacs uses Unicode to get text from the
> clipboard.  There should be no charsets involved here.
>
> Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If so, what version of Emacs is that,
> and is it a native Windows build or a Cygwin build?

No, it did not happen in emacs -Q and I am using GNU Emacs 24.5.1
(i686-pc-mingw32) of 2015-04-11 on LEG570 (binary download).

> If this doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", look at your customizations to
> find the culprit, especially those related to encoding/decoding
> selections.

It *is* related to my customizations[1] and a snippet I got from
[2].

>> For correcting such wrong character sets, I want to write a function
>> that corrects the charset.
>
> This shouldn't be needed (and if it is, then it's impossible in
> general, because Windows attempts to translate characters, and does
> that lossily).  Suggest instead to find out why Unicode retrieval
> doesn't work.

With your help in this thread, I fixed my charset issue. However, I
was not able to search&replace within the yanked text or within the
text before being inserted in order to convert Outlook-list items to
Org-mode syntax.

[1] https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs
[2] https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/working-coding-systems-unicode-emacs

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are