Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 00:39:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 3:48:29 PM UTC+12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:26:10 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Davin Pearson <davin dot pearson at gmail dot com>
> >
> > I am trying to get write access to the Emacs file dir under the MS Windows
> > operating system.
> >
> > Here is the output of the chmod command:
> >
> > c:\Program Files (x86)\emacs-24.5\share\info>chmod 666 dir
> > chmod: changing permissions of 'dir': Permission denied
> >
> > What gives?  How do I go about getting write access to the file "dir"?
>
> Is that file really a read-only file?  Does its Properties tab in
> Explorer show the Read-only attribute set?  If not, chmod won't help
> you, and your problem is probably due to the fact that your user is
> denied access to "Program Files" and everything under it.  In that
> case, the solution is not to install Emacs under "C:\Program Files",
> but elsewhere, preferably on disk D.

I am trying to write an automated installer module that patches the dir
file to add an additional link to a file jtw-manual.info.  My installer module
complains about not being able to save the file "dir".

If there is no way to change the file "dir" then my system will be less usable
to users of GNU Emacs on Windows systems.   Everything works fine under Linux,
although the user has to be in logged in as root to patch the "dir" file, among
other things.

I thought that there must be a way of writing to the "dir" file...

It is possible under GNU/Linux to change the "dir" file.  That may be some way
forward here.  The user could boot into Linux and run the installer script which
enables them to access the C:/Program Files (x86)/ folder.

Do different flavours of GNU/Linux have the same format for accessing the C
drive? On my system it is located at /media/www/C1TB where C1TB is the Windows
name for my C drive.