Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 16:46:19 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> John Mastro wrote:
> > Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Why from Cygwin?  Native Windows ports of ls.exe do exist.
> >
> > My perception when I first started using this setup was that Cygwin was
> > the easiest way to get a fairly complete Unix-like command line
> > environment.
>
> Easiest doesn't always mean the best.

My perception is that Cygwin has an active developer base that often
participates on the GNU mailing lists and therefore Cygwin is more
visible to the GNU community than other ports such as MinGW.  I don't
recall ever having seen a MinGW developer chatting about MinGW on the
mailing lists I frequent.  For example.

As far as I can tell Cygwin tries really hard to create a Unix like
environment on Microsoft Windows.  If that requires making some things
that a MS user might expect to be MS-like to be more Unix-like then
that is what they do.  Whereas MinGW tries really hard to port GNU
utilities to Microsoft so that within the MS operating system the GNU
utilities are available.  As much as possible all MS-like features are
preserved.

As such these two projects have a different design vision.  As far as
I can tell this is the difference.  If a person is coming from a Unix
background and likes it then Cygwin provides a more Unix like
environment.  If a person is coming from a Microsoft background and
likes it then MinGW provides a more Microsoft like environment.

True?  False?  I don't know.  But that seems to be the way of it as
far as I can see.  Says me who is happy I am not running Microsoft
myself.  Other people can do what they want.

Bob