Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Where has the rwxr-xr-x gone from dired?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 23:01:41 +0300

> From: John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:07:29 -0700
>
> What do you recommend - MinGW and MSYS, supplemented by your ezwinports?

MinGW is a development environment.  Any program built in that
environment is a native Windows program.  The ezwinports programs are
all built with MinGW.  Other MinGW builds of Unix and GNU software can
be found on the official MinGW site.

Native Windows programs can also be built with other toolchains, like
MS Visual Studio, but those alternatives are not Free Software.

My recommendation is to use native Windows programs with native Emacs,
and Cygwin programs with Cygwin Emacs.  MSYS I don't recommend at all,
as its only purpose is to allow running Posix build procedures that
build MinGW programs.