Re: printing from within emacs, without having "lpr"

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: printing from within emacs, without having "lpr"
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 02:09:16 +0200

martin.sputnik@gmail.com writes:

> I can ``export'' buffers to the file system
> and then invoke print on the export, but it's
> not a dignified way

... why not?

> and I don't get much support

Perhaps not, but you can create it with
shell programming. Anything you like.

Here is an example (the second part of the
file, mostly).

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/printers

> (setq lpr-command "print")
>
> and changing the lpr-add-switches to avoid
> lpr-specifics there does not help. The message
> for M-x print-buffer is
>
> Usage: print [-a{1,2,3,4}] .... [-v] [file...]
> More information available from 'man print'.
>
> which perhaps indicates that the buffer
> I intended to print were now ``piped''
> correctly into the print commant.
>
> Any ideas what I could do? I think I found
> a way around the problem that print wants
> a password, that seems not the problem, but
> I wonder if fiddling with the lpr-command will
> do any good?

Even if it did, what will happen if the admins
put lpr back on line? Will you change all the
print stuff back?

No, it is much better to just not use the lpr
stuff while it is inoperational.

As for the print stuff, start by getting it to
work from the shell. Print text files and PDFs
for starters. When you have that, you can stop
to think how to have that invokable from Emacs
with the buffer data as input.

                   - so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -