Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:30:51 -0400

>> Are you on some uncommon platform where you
>> have to compile everything manually or why
>> don't you just use the distro's package manager
>> to install it?
>
> Yes. I'm in a Debian QEMU/Chroot for S/390x because I don't have
> access to one. Debian tests our package under it via Porter, so I'm
> using their methodology. Also see http://www.debian.org/ports/.

If you are interested in testing Emacs under the Debian Ports, then
here's the documentation I put together for the project I work with:
http://cryptopp.com/wiki/Debian_Chroot . Its the 30-second tour to get
one of the QEMU/Choort guests up and running on a host.

Note well: the host can run Debian 8/Jessie Stable, Testing or
Unstable. The guest must run Unstable. Almost all guests use
'http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports' as the debootstrap URI. X32
is a notable counter example.

As someone else noted, I often have to use echo to write the proper
sources.list in a guest because I don't have emacs:

    echo "deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unstable main
updates" > /etc/apt/sources.list

Jeff