emacs <--> file-browser as coroutines

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: emacs <--> file-browser as coroutines
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:39:08 +0530

For my students I put together something about setting up emacs as server:
https://bitbucket.org/rustom/vit-projects/wiki/emacsasdefault

Note: This is more targetted to newer users of emacs -- my students -- who
are used to point-n-click than to oldtimers (like myself)

Comments/corrections appreciated

The first part is more straightforward -- emacs as server

The second (needs first) is more experimental -- its about emacs not using
its usual C-x C-f method of opening files but calling out to the file
browser
[In my experiments that's nautilus]
Similar on other gnu-linux-variants should be much the same

Windows/Mac likely need more work

Just a curious thought:
When writing file browsers in/for emacs is such a cottage industry -- ido,
icicles, helm etc etc] how come this -- default file browser approach -- is
not talked of??
Am I missing something in what to google for?