Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 09:16:06 +0100

On Sun, June 26, 2016 11:50 pm, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> You still haven't really said what that task is. If you need Emacs and
>> only emacs, then you or someone has to fix the build. If you need a
>> general purpose text editor, then try another one that does support
>> your platform. GNU ed will probably run an it has a much simpler build.
>
> My task is to edit files with emacs. I'm not an Emacs expert. I know
> it better than Vi, so that's what I use.
>
> I guessed the failed self tests were due to Lisp, but it was only a
> guess.

If by "failed self-tests" you mean that you got a core dump from temacs,
then please say that. temacs is nothing to do with testing.

> I don't use Lisp so I'm happy to test a build without it.

Lisp is not an extension language for Emacs. It's the language that a very
significant part of the functionality of Emacs is implemented in.

> If you don't mind me asking, why do you think I am here trying to
> figure out how to work around a broken emacs builds? What do you think
> I am trying to do with emacs other than edit files?

I don't know. When trying to debug an issue that you cannot replicate, I
never found it sensible to make assumptions; it's easier just to ask. In
your case, the subject line "Build Emacs without Lisp" doesn't really make
sense to me, which means asking is even more important.

Phil