Re: Suggested font lock preferences for GNU Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suggested font lock preferences for GNU Emacs
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 10:50:29 -0400

>> I am unfamiliar with MELPA and ELPA.

This is not quite the right choice.  The choice is between MELPA and GNU
ELPA, both of which are subtypes of ELPA.

>> Would it be worth my time learning MELPA when
>> I could just learn ELPA?

Not sure what you mean by that.  If you mean "learn how to package my
code for (GNUD|M)ELPA", then my opinion is that it probably isn't since
GNU ELPA comes pre-configured in Emacs, so everyone has access to it
without any extra setup, whereas MELPA is only accessible to users after
they set their `package-archives` accordingly.

>           '(( "elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
                 ^^^^
                 gnu

        Stefan