How to get time difference with Elisp?

From: Karl Voit
Subject: How to get time difference with Elisp?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:46:37 +0200

Hi!

I need to determine total office hours of a day without the time
spent in lunch break. The source data is officebegin, officeend,
lunchbreakbegin, lunchbreakend - all in string format "HH:MM" like
"14:58".

So far, I failed miserably to find the right combination of
parse-time-string, encode-time, time-substract.

Even determining the difference between only two times resulted in
errors to me:

(setq difference (time-subtract (encode-time (parse-time-string "12:24"))
                                (encode-time (parse-time-string "11:45"))))

... results in: time-subtract: Wrong number of arguments: encode-time, 1

Can you help me? Thanks!

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are