Re: gnutls-verify-error issues

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gnutls-verify-error issues
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:00:41 -0400

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:35:57 -0400 Hubert Chathi <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:

HC> There seems to be something weird going on with the gnutls-verify-error
HC> variable.  It is initially set to:

HC> (("muchlearning\\.org"
HC>       (:trustfiles))
HC>      ("news\\.gmane\\.org" nil)
HC>      (".*"
HC>       (:trustfiles :hostname)))

HC> i.e. it verifies all domains strictly except for a couple of domains
HC> that need to be more lax.

HC> However, after it's made a few connections, the value changes, and
HC> eventually becomes unusable for some domains.  e.g. it may look like this:

HC> (("muchlearning\\.org"
HC>    (:trustfiles))
HC>   ("news\\.gmane\\.org" nil
HC>    (:trustfiles :hostname)
HC>    (:trustfiles :hostname)
HC>    . #2)
HC>   (".*"
HC>    (:trustfiles :hostname)
HC>    . #1))

HC> and it won't be able to connect to news.gmane.org any more.

HC> I'm currently using emacs 24.4 from Debian (package version 24.4+1-5,
HC> which is the current version from Debian stable).

I am not aware of any code in Emacs that would modify
`gnutls-verify-error' and haven't seen this issue. But it could be a
bug. In particular this line *could* be the cuplrit in gnutls.el:

    (when verify-hostname-error
      (push :hostname verify-error))

Are you able to put a debug statement in there and try again?

Or give a recipe to duplicate the issue?

Ted