Re: desktop-save problems

From: ken
Subject: Re: desktop-save problems
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:30:30 -0400

From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:24:28 -0400

From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:49:24 -0400

The way I do it is turn on desktop-save-mode, then Emacs will save the
desktop when I exit automatically.
This means that the desktop isn't saved when the system crashes, e.g.,
the power suddenly goes out, yes?
If this is frequent enough, you can save manually at strategic times.
Years ago desktop-save and desktop-read both worked properly out of the
box... didn'tl even have to invoke anything.  It just kept track of what
files/buffers were open and opened them again in the next session,
whether the previous session was graceful or a crash... files opened via
tramp too.  How/Why did things get messed up?
It didn't.  It still works the same for me, except now it also saves
and restores frame and window configuration.

Actually it did, at least for me. I used it all the time, both at home and at work. I remember working with the tramp maintainer guy so emacs would work over a proxy server and even files edited via proxy were saved to the desktop. Very cool stuff. I almost got our entire department at work to switch the standard editor (what we were all forced to use) from vi to emacs. But there was too much intransigence.

I've never gotten frame and window configuration to be saved between sessions though. Word was, there wasn't enough support for it in the window manager. So if that's working in a future version, that would be excellent. Which emacs version does that happen, if you happen to know?

Also, in my emacs (24.3.1) I'm always prompted for the directory to save
the desktop in.  Is there a way to specify one directory where the
desktop is saved so I don't have this prompt come up?
It doesn't prompt me, it uses the ~/.emacs.d/ directory by default;
the directory from which the desktop was read overrides that.  I'm
never asked any such questions.  Something is wrong with your setup.
This is how it works when I start emacs with "emacs -Q".
Then I suggest to look into your customizations for something that
defeats that.

All desktop customizations are set to Standard (unchanged) except these:

 Desktop Files Not To Save - None
 Desktop Save - Always save
 Desktop Save Mode - On

Is there something which needs to be changed from Standard to avoid that prompt?