Trouble setting default font and window size

From: Ron House
Subject: Trouble setting default font and window size
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 15:18:39 +1000

I am trying to set a particular font and default window size, but I run into a problem. I get the font I want, but when emacs starts, just as it starts, before it sets the required font, it momentarily uses a larger font. The window size I ask for uses the entire screen height, so that larger font causes emacs to ignore my screen size request and use a much smaller, standard screen size.

So I am having to specify a smaller size than I want so that the larger font only just fits the screen, but then my reduced window when the correct font takes over is smaller than I want.

I start emacs with:

emacs -i -geometry 85x64 <<< I really want 99x60 here.

My .emacs contains the following lines related to font settings:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
'(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono")))) '(header-line ((((class color grayscale) (background light)) (:inherit mode-line :background "grey90" :foreground "grey20" :box nil :height 0.5 :width condensed))))
 '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))

This is the font I want, but emacs starts up with some other font. Can that be changed?

--
Ron House
Building Peace: http://peacelegacy.org