Re: Trouble setting default font and window size

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Trouble setting default font and window size
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 08:14:22 +0200

> > (defalias 'dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event 'ignore)
>
> doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> > "Note on e65c307 breaks font-height"
>
> Could be. The problem seems to be that the window is displayed before .emacs
is processed, so some built-in default is used and then, after that has messed
things up, .emacs is applied to the messed up display.

I was referring only to your earlier statement:

> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>
> '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil
:slant normal :weight normal :height 90 :width normal :foundry "bitstream" :family "Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono")))) '(header-line ((((class color grayscale) (background light)) (:inherit mode-line :background
"grey90" :foreground "grey20" :box nil :height 0.5 :width condensed))))

>  '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))
>
> This is the font I want, but emacs starts up with some other font. Can that
be changed?

You didn't tell us which version of Emacs you're using so I can't even
tell whether ‘dynamic-setting-handle-config-changed-event’ really does
something on your system.  In any case, I would start out disregarding
the window size problem and getting the right font first.  Fixing the
frame/window size afterwards should be straightforward.

martin