Etymology of `visiting' files

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Etymology of `visiting' files
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 15:24:31 +0530

What motivated the choice of the verb `visiting'?

>From reading some of the relevant section in the Emacs and Elisp
manuals, I understand the process the verb names.  However, I wanted to
find some reasoning or discussion about the choice of verb; my own
expectation would have been something like `edit' or `load', but that
would be looking through the lens provided by recent editing systems.

--
Udyant Wig