Re: How to check whether the current line is a comment-only one?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: How to check whether the current line is a comment-only one?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 16:11:30 +0200

On 2016-08-18, at 09:44, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> is there a predicate function to determine whether the line the point is
>> in is entirely a comment line?
>
> I don't think there is one yet.  Depending on what you mean by "entirely
> a comment", it could be:
>
>     (save-excursion
>       (forward-line 0)
>       (< (line-end-position)
>          (let ((ppss (syntax-ppss)))
>            (when (nth 4 ppss)
>              (goto-char (nth 8 ppss)))
>            (forward-comment (point-max))
>            (point))))

Hi Stefan,

from a cursory read of the above, this might be exactly what I need.
Thanks.

BTW, AUCTeX has a function called `TeX-in-commented-line'.  Here's its
docstring:

Return non-nil if point is in a line consisting only of a comment.
The comment can be preceded by whitespace.  This means that
‘TeX-in-commented-line’ is more general than ‘TeX-in-line-comment’
which will not match commented lines with leading whitespace.  But
‘TeX-in-commented-line’ will match commented lines without leading
whitespace as well.

> -- Stefan

Best,

--