Re: How to customize an option to a dynamic value (computed by lisp form

From: Jorge
Subject: Re: How to customize an option to a dynamic value (computed by lisp form)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 16:02:27 -0300

On 26 August 2016 at 11:28, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
> You might want to `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  It is for enhancement requests as
> well as bugs.
Yes, I may do that, but not now (I have other bugs to report).

> What does that mean?  A variable has a single, static, literal value at any
> time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literal_(computer_programming)

See the following example C code, assuming that read_int is a function that
reads an integer from stdin:
const int answer = 42;  // the answer to life the universe and everything
const int answer_sq = answer*answer;
const int age = read_int();

All three variables defined above are constants. However, only the first two
have values which can be known at compile time, and only the first one is
initialized to a literal (42).

I want to be able to customize the options mentioned in the original email to
values computed from other options, but I cannot.  I can only initialize them
to literals.

--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.