emacs interface with gpg-agent stopped working (or stopped caching passp

From: derkire
Subject: emacs interface with gpg-agent stopped working (or stopped caching passphrase)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 23:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I just ran a full dnf update of packages on my fedora 23 installation, and the
emacs interface with gpg-agent no longer works. I hope someone can tell me what
I need to do to make it work again. Here are the details.

Expected (old) behavior: When opening (find-file) files in emacs, emacs
contacts the
gpg-agent, and a GUI window is popped to enter the passphrase. This is
then enough to decrypt ALL additional .gpg files opened by emacs for the next
5 minutes.

Actual (new) behavior: emacs instead asks for passphrase in the minibuffer (not
GUI popup!), and the file will decrypt, BUT the PP has to be entered each time
a new file is opened. That is, no more 5min/300sec window of caching. I
interpret this to mean that the interface between emacs and the gpg-agent is
not functioning correctly.

Other observations (after spending at least 5 hours on this, with web searches
and trying to follow various hints and tips and recipes):

1. I think the GUI window that was previously used to enter the passphrase was
/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass. It looks similar.

2. I noticed that GPG_AGENT_INFO changed from something like
$HOME/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent:1949:1 to /run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.ssh

3. I tried setting GPG_TTY before starting a new emacs instance, but it made no
difference.

4. my gpg-agent.conf is

default-cache-ttl 300
max-cache-ttl 3000

and I also tried to add

enable-ssh-support
allow-emacs-pinentry

5. OS and package versions

Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)
Linux version 4.6.7-200.fc23.x86_64
(mockbuild@bkernel02.phx2.fedoraproject.org) (gcc version 5.3.1 20160406 (Red
Hat 5.3.1-6) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Aug 17 14:24:53 UTC 2016

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of 2016-04-11
on buildvm-25.phx2.fedoraproject.org

gnupg2 x86_64 2.1.13-1.fc23

6. My .xsession equivalent uses (csh, please forgive :))

eval `gpg-agent --daemon`

and this command sets

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.ssh

but does not set GPG_AGENT_INFO. Setting GPG_AGENT_INFO manually to the same
value as SSH_AUTH_SOCK, before starting emacs in that same shell, does not fix
the problem.

I hope I have provided sufficient detail to understand what the problem is, but
as I said I have spent hours on this and cannot crack the problem. Thanks much.