Can't load any color themes in emacs 25

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Can't load any color themes in emacs 25
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:21:46 -0800

I've installed GNU Emacs 25.1.1 on ubuntu 14.04.
The previous version is 24.3.1

The default color scheme is great, but running load-theme for any
installed theme does not give me the color scheme that I expect.
*Messages* shows nothing of concern on startup. The background
remains light.

I would guess that some setting has a value that is forcing the
background to a something close to white, (regardless of theme
selection) but don't know where to look for it.

Any help is appreciated.
thanks
--
Tim