Re: How can I discover group name?

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: How can I discover group name?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:32:01 +0300

On 2016-09-26, Drew Adams wrote:

>> Within "M-x customize"  I found "Text" group.
>
> I don't see that group, with `emacs -Q'.  Perhaps it comes from
> some library that you are using?
>
> What does `M-x customize-group RET TAB' tell you?
> That's how to discover group names.

M-x customize RET

  Emacs group: Customization of the One True Editor.
         State : visible group members are all at standard values.
        See also Manual.

  Editing                   Basic text editing facilities.
  Convenience               Convenience features for faster editing.
  Files             Support for editing files.
  **Text**          Support for editing text files.

Under "Text" group (if press RET on **Text**):

  Text group: Support for editing text files.
         State : visible group members are all at standard values.

  Show Value Text Mode Hook
     Hook run after entering Text mode. More

  Subgroups:
  Bib               Major mode for editing bib files.
  Columns                   Prettify columns.
  Lpr               Print Emacs buffer on line printer.
  Nroff             Nroff mode.
  Outlines                  Support for hierarchical outlining.
  Picture                   Editing text-based pictures ("ASCII art").
  Rst               Support for reStructuredText documents.
  Table             Text based table manipulation utilities.
  Tex               Code related to the TeX formatter.
  Tildify                   Add hard spaces or other text fragments to text
buffers.
  View              Peruse file or buffer without editing.

Within 'M-x customize-group RET TAB' I didn't see either "text" nor "Text".

>> I'd like to add my group to this group. Unfortunately this was failed:
>>   (defgroup xxx nil
>>     "xxx-mode customization."
>>     :group 'text)
>               ^^^^  'Text, not 'text, if "Text" is the group name.
>
>> Searching around gave working piece:
>>   (defgroup xxx nil
>>     "xxx-mode customization."
>>     :group 'wp)
>>
>> How can I guess "wp" name from customize buffer content?
>
> What is the relation between this and group "Text"?
> What do you see in the Customize buffer?

Screens shown above. After executing:

>>   (defgroup xxx nil
>>     "xxx-mode customization."
>>     :group 'wp)

I see my group under Text group:

  Text group: Support for editing text files.
         State : visible group members are all at standard values.

  Show Value Text Mode Hook
     Hook run after entering Text mode. More

  Subgroups:
  Bib               Major mode for editing bib files.
  View              Peruse file or buffer without editing.
  Xxx               xxx-mode customization.

My question is why does "Text" group require symbol 'wp' in "(defgroup ...)"
call and how can I guess this symbol during navigation across *Customize*
buffers?

I discover proper name only after:

  $ ack -C 5 '(defgroup'  $EMACS_SRC/lisp

  textmodes/rst.el
  283-

  284-(defgroup rst nil "Support for reStructuredText documents."
  285:  :group 'wp
  286-  :version "23.1"
  287-  :link '(url-link "http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html";))

--