Re: Can't figure out how to create a tabulated-list-mode with visible

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Can't figure out how to create a tabulated-list-mode with visible
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 03:38:43 +0200

Hello Michael,

that helped me a lot, was exactly what I wanted to do at least as
startpoint. :)

> There is something wrong with the tabulated-list-* assignments.  First,
> the assignment expression to `tabulated-list-entries' is missing a quote
> before the given list, so your code raises an error.

I think it didnt just did silently nothing, but could be wrong :).

Hmm yes I am a lisp beginner I still strugle with the different lists
and even somethimes have problems to understand the concepts behind it,
and what is a good/efficiant/clean way to code. :)

>Entries displayed in the current Tabulated List buffer.
>This should be either a function, or a list.
>If a list, each element has the form (ID [DESC1 ... DESCN]),

Well I guess I misread the description. Each has the form, so the
additional parenthesis makes sense, but why is a ' needed for entries
but not for format?

Because its "either a function or a list, and
therefor it tries to execute the function of nil". So whenever I read
such sentence I have to quote? Or do vectors get quoted / not evaluated
in general?

> Secondly, the
> assigned values don't seem to fit the required format.  I guess it
> should more or less look like this (dunno if it makes sense for your
> example, but at least, it makes "something happen" here):
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (define-derived-mode kodi-remote-mode tabulated-list-mode "kodi-remote"
>   (setq tabulated-list-format [("choice" 10 t)])
>   (setq tabulated-list-entries '((nil ["Series"])))
>   (tabulated-list-init-header)
>   (tabulated-list-print))
> #+end_src

Yes it works and making "something happen" was exactly my goal :)

greetings

Stefan