Re: w3m SSL handling error

From: B.V. Raghav
Subject: Re: w3m SSL handling error
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 18:03:01 +0530

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> B.V. Raghav wrote:
[...]
>> Opening a https URL on w3m errors out with:
>>
>>    error:0906d06c:pem routines:pem_read_bio:no start line
>>
>> Example: Open `https://www.emacswiki.org/'  and w3m fails.
>> `Something seems to be wrong with URL or this system.'
>
> This works okay for me.  I cannot recreate the problem.

Okay... As expected

>> Then open xterm and `w3m https://www.emacswiki.org/'
>> The error message is
>> `0906d06c:pem routines:pem_read_bio:no start line'
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Here are some ideas.  What system are you operating from?  You didn't
> say.  It is an xterm so I might assume some generic GNU/Linux system.

I am running on Debian stretch/sid.

> How up to date is it?  The error reminds me of other errors I have
> seen when the client system is old enough that it only supports SSLv3
> connecting to a web server that no longer supports SSLv3 anymore.

I dont know how to watch a network while some process is connecting to
it. Please tell me I will do so.

> Looking at the handshake connecting to it I see that it only supports
> TLS v1.1 and v1.2.  I am rather expect that your client might not be
> supporting one of those two protocols.

I am running behind network-wide proxy, with auth. So I use delegate
server to create a local proxy server that takes care of auth over the
clients that do not support auth.

When I do `netstat -tc', what I see is multiple instances of
`localhost:PORT' which happens to be my local PROXY_SERVER:PORT

I cant figure out how to find some meaningful information, as yourself.

Raghav

श्रद्धावाँल्लभते ज्ञानम् [https://duckduckgo.com/?q=श्रद्धावाँल्लभते+ज्ञानम्]