Re: help debugging a segfault

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: help debugging a segfault
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:17:11 +0200

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> When this happens I have just typed `M-x ensime` and it seems like
> emacs is crashing when loading the .ensime file, which is an
> s-expression file that is loaded as data in
> https://github.com/ensime/ensime-emacs/blob/master/ensime-config.el#L153-L168
> (actually if anybody knows of a more efficient way to load the file,
> I'd be keen to update our code, I'm a maintainer).
>
> The exact file that it is apparently performing the re_search within
> is https://gist.github.com/fommil/d906918819cd2632e9864842e1d59b57
>

> Could anybody please shed some light on what could be going wrong? I
> also have a core dump file but I have no idea what to do with it, I've
> never used gdb in anger.

[snip]

Hmmm... On Emacs bug#24640 it was mentioned that loading an
s-expression-based data file (generated by undo-tree) was suspected to
cause a crash. I don't know if, at the end, that was related to the bug
or just speculation. It was marked as fixed on the emacs-25 branch.
Maybe you could try it?

The bug report: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24640