Minibuffer in Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) does not process Japanese input (

From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. M. Shinoto
Subject: Minibuffer in Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) does not process Japanese input (Mozc IBUS)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:53:56 +0900

Hello,

I am new to this list and still relatively new to emacs. I get it working nicely on my Mac (OS X, 10.11), and recently I began testing Ubuntu (on an old Thinkpad) as well, of course trying Emacs as well.

Beside some glitches for which I found a workaround, there is one problem I cannot solve:

The minibuffer for input (e.g. org mode capture descriptions) does not accept Japanese input with Hiragana. I can write in the normal windows though, and the input sign in the menu bar is OK, so hiragana should be acceptec. Still, I only get Alphabet.

Any help appreciated!

Best,
Maria

--