Re: Gnus and offline Email

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus and offline Email
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:37:12 -0800

Tim Zander <timisch@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> how do I set-up Gnus (and my GNU/Linux operating) to read and send my
> emails? Preferably with IMAP but it should also work offline. Everything
> I found online was very old, but if you know that some guide still works
> today I could give it a try.

What most people do in your case is to install a local IMAP server,
usually dovecot, on your local machine. Then use isync or offlineimap to
sync that to the remote server. Gnus only ever talks to the local IMAP
server.

It's a little harder for offline sending. I use msmtp to send mails, and
apparently there is a msmtp-queue package that will let send emails from
Gnus, but queue them up until there's an internet connection to actually
send them.

Otherwise, you just use the Gnus agent, toggle unplugged, send as
usual, and when you're back online, toggle plugged.

HTH,
Eric