Re: term-mode doesn't recognize "set window title" instruction

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: term-mode doesn't recognize "set window title" instruction
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:27:26 -0800

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea?
>
> On Nov 20, 2016 1:06 PM, "York Zhao" <gtdplatform@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> In my .bashrc file, I have the following to set the terminal window title
>> and customize the shell prompt:
>>
>>   PS1='\[\033]0;${PWD//[^[:ascii:]]/?}\007\]' # set window title
>>   PS1="$PS1"'\u@\h $ '             # user@host $<space>
>>
>> The first line makes the current directory shown as the title of the
>> terminal window, and the prompt would be shows as:
>>
>>   york@linux-host $
>>
>> However, the first line which sets the terminal window title confused the
>> term-mode, and the following is what gets shown in term-mode buffer:
>>
>>   0;/home/yorkyork@linux-host $
>>
>> Of course the problem can be addressed by removing the first line in my
>> .bashrc file which sets the title of terminal window. However, I would love
>> to know if there's a way to allow the terminal window title to be shown,
>> while at the same time, also making Emacs term-mode happy!

I don't know how to make that work with term-mode, but an alternative to
outright removing that line would be to do something like:

    if [ -z "$INSIDE_EMACS" ]; then
        # set window title, unless inside emacs
        PS1='\[\033]0;${PWD//[^[:ascii:]]/?}\007\]'
    else
        PS1=''
    fi
    PS1="$PS1"'\u@\h $ '             # user@host $<space>